The Washington State Microenterprise Association champions collaboration for economic justice where every micro-entrepreneur has equal access to economic development resources.
The Washington State Microenterprise Association’s mission is to strengthen economic development systems that support the growth of strong and effective Microenterprise Development Organizations.
We do this through:
- Building a coalition of organizations, agencies and individuals dedicated to microenterprise development
- Providing leadership to the voice of microenterprise practitioners
- Promoting microenterprise as a viable economic development tool
- Supporting the capacity of microenterprise support organizations in providing:
- Self-employment education and assistance
- Access to capital and micro-lending
- Business creation and expansion support
- Job creation
- Economic self-sufficiency and financial education
The WSMA is committed to the following values:
Collaboration: We believe we can get further faster together.
Economic Justice: We value financial viability and equality for every person in our state.
Advocacy: We value the voice of entrepreneurs in Washington.
- Provide networking opportunities among microenterprise development programs in the state.
- Organize regional and statewide meetings or conferences to bring key organizations and individuals together.
- Convene advocates and educate the public on benefits and impacts of microenterprise development.
- Build collaboration among and between economic development, social service, workforce, education and financial groups in Washington.
- Coordinating Resources
- Maintain a web-based directory of all Washington microenterprise resources.
- Provide information about training programs offered throughout the state.
- Build the capacity of members to share resources.
- Provide funding on a competitive basis to MDO’s as an intermediary for the State of Washington, as funding permits.
- Share information on funding sources as available and appropriate.
- Capacity Building and Training
- Provide technical assistance and resources to member microenterprise development programs to grow and improve their capacity.
- Identify and share best practice methods, resources and tools.
- Provide learning opportunities for practitioners to improve operations.
- Data Collection
- Encourage and support statewide data collection to inform and educate the field and stakeholder groups.
- Work to develop industry standards among Washington microenterprise development organizations.